Sometimes you come across something awesome, a deal you can not refuse! That is what happened to us. We found a mobile chicken coop for next to nothing! Now, it will need some work before we can use it, but so would building one from scratch!
If you recall our Homesteading Goals for 2017, we had planned to build a chickshaw this year. But, as always, plans change. You see, I have been doing some research, and according to European laws for selling eggs we need to abide by some rules and unfortunately the chickshaw didn’t meet the criteria. I still think the chickshaw is and awesome design, and would be perfect for housing chickens for producing your own eggs, but we want to sell eggs and therefore have to follow the rules.
Our aim is to have 40-50 egg layers, and the law states that you can keep 9 hens per square meter, so 50 chickens would mean we need a coop that is at least 5.5 square meters. There are other rules too, we need one nesting box for every 7 hens, so to be on the save side that would mean 8 nesting boxes, and the chickshaw only has 3.
So, as I said, we came across a deal we could not refuse. There is a lot of work to be done, but we are up for the challenge! Meet our mobile chicken coop!
As you can see it is quite a mess! But nothing we can’t fix! These pictures were taken the day it was delivered and we didn’t do anything yet.
Our plans for the mobile chicken coop
- First we need some new tires, both tires are flat and old. It’s not very mobile right now.
- We need to make some supports in the back so we can level it after we move it, and we don’t have to worry about it tipping over when we climb in.
- A step to get in the door. It is quite high off the ground, so to make the access easier we need something we can either attach to or store in the coop that we can use to enter the coop.
- Big clean up! We are planning on pulling everything out and rebuilding the inside. There are a lot of holes in the walls because the previous owner had a rat problem (note to self, don’t store feed in the chicken coop!).
- We want the nesting boxes on the outside for easy access and that way there is more room inside for the chickens.
- Painting the outside and inside. It’s not so nice on the eyes right now.
- We may need to do some other repairs but I guess we’ll see as we go along.
That’s it for the first update! Stay tuned to see how we progress on our project!