At the beginning of the year I published a post about our homesteading goals for 2017. To make sure we stay on track in reaching our goals I am going to post a review of what we accomplished each month. Here’s the first one!
What did we do?
I am very proud and excited to say that I launched my blog on January 14th. It is a work in progress, but I feel good about it. It has been a dream of mine for a long time.
Put up a fence
We put up a fence so the sheep won’t get into the spot where we want to build our vegetable garden. My husband build an awesome country-style gate from scrap wood. We re-used the fence-posts from an old enclosure so we saved a lot of money!
Made a new door for the sheep stall
There was an unfortunate incident with a ram in November, he ran right through the door of the sheep stall. It was already not in the best shape and he decided he would help it along. So after making the gate we still had enough scrap wood left to make a new door for the sheep stall. Now it will be easy to round up the sheep if we have to.
We cleaned up around the property
There was a lot of stuff lying around, from cut trees to old fences. So we spend a lot of time cleaning up around the property. It was backbreaking work as some stuff had been there for quite some time and was stuck into the ground.
Started some seeds
I started some seeds indoors. Basil, parsley, oregano and bush beans. I am pretty anxious to get started on the vegetable garden. We have been having a lot of frost this month, so patient we must be.
I finally baked bread successfully! My mom came to visit this month and she gave me a recipe with tips for multi-grain bread. And it actually works! I’ve been baking all our bread since then, and it gets better every time! And it is cheaper and healthier than buying it at the store.
Besides learning how to make bread I am also following an online course on photography and graphic design for my blog. So, not really homesteading related, but useful for my blog.
What did we produce?
Eggs: 4o (after a winter stop the chickens started laying again halfway through January, about 3 eggs a day, I sure hope this increases as daylight increases because 3 eggs from 20 chickens is not profitable)
How much did we spend?
Fencing supplies: €115,81 (we went ahead and bought the chickenwire we need for the chickshaw as well)
Tools: €55,24 (we bought a sledgehammer for the fence posts, and then we had to buy a new handle because it broke when we accidentally missed one of the posts)
Garden: €13,88 (bought a small herb garden and some potting ground)
Animals: €52,64 (feed, should last us throughFebruary if the chickens are allowed to go outside again)
Next month I am going to keep track of what we spend on groceries, because I think that is a real measure of how well we do producing our own food. It should decrease throughout the year.
That was it for January, I can’t believe it’s over already! But time flies when you are having fun! We feel like we accomplished a lot and are excited about the progress we made!
If you like this post, please take a little time to sign up for my newsletter and follow me on social media!